Climate-Smart Carbon Cycle
The land-use sector plays an important role in mitigating climate change and in halting the deterioration of the aquatic environment resulting from primary production. The programme’s challenge is to overcome the global climate crisis and its impact on ecosystems.
The programme offers solutions for:
- ecologically, socially, and economically sustainable climate-change mitigation in the land-use sector.
- the maintenance of the productive capacity and biodiversity of the soil and substrates as well as the strengthening of carbon sinks.
- management of water impacts in the Baltic Sea’s catchment area.
- improving carbon neutrality of the food system.
Solutions from research
What do we find important?
Our research programme produces information, prediction models, and computational tools that enable us to reduce the emissions of the land-use sector and increase carbon sinks.
Stakeholder Advisory Board
The research programmes’ Stakeholder Advisory Boards represent Luke’s key stakeholders and customers. The Stakeholder Advisory Boards convene once or twice a year to discuss the development needs and results of their respective research programmes.
- Petr Balrdian, Czech Academy of Sciences (CAS)
- Tiina Huvio, The Central Union of Agricultural Producers and Forest Owners (MTK)
- Laura Höijer, Baltic Sea Action Group
- Ritva Isomäki, Council of Oulu Region
- Riikka Joukio, Kesko Corporation
- Markku Kanninen, University of Helsinki
- Juha Nousiainen, Valio Oy
- Markku Remes, Finnish Forest Centre