News Forestry, Statistic

Roundwood consumption in Finland amounted to 82 million cubic metres in 2019, the second highest volume ever recorded. Nearly 90 per cent of roundwood were consumed in the manufacture of forest industry products, while the remaining proportion was used in energy generation at heating and power plants and burned as fuelwood in small-scale housing. In addition, 26 million cubic metres of forest industry by-products and wood residues were used.

According to the statistics of the Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke), a total of 82 million solid cubic metres of roundwood were consumed in Finland in 2019, being three per cent lower than the previous year’s record and the second highest in history.

Consumption of domestic roundwood decreased, that of imported roundwood increased

Most of the roundwood, or 71 million cubic metres, was consumed to manufacture forest industry products. Of this, 42 million cubic metres were processed in the pulp industries and 29 million cubic metres in the wood-products industries. Domestic roundwood accounted for 61 million cubic metres of the total consumption, while imported roundwood comprised 10 million cubic metres.

“Forest industries’ total roundwood consumption decreased by three per cent from the record year of 2018, when the consumption of domestic roundwood reached an all-time record. Now, its consumption decreased by five per cent. However, the consumption of imported roundwood continued to increase, going up by seven per cent from the previous year”, says Esa Ylitalo, Senior Statistician at Luke.

Photo: Erkki Oksanen

Consumption of energy wood at the previous year’s level

In total, 11 million cubic metres of roundwood were used in energy generation. This was the same volume as in 2018. Of this amount, nearly seven million cubic metres were burned as fuelwood in small-scale housing and four cubic metres as forest chips manufactured from stemwood at heating and power plants.

Solid by-products comprise a significant raw material and energy source

A total of 26 million cubic metres of forest industry by-products and wood residues were used, nearly the same amount as in the previous year. Of this, nearly 10 million cubic metres were used for the production of forest industry products as sawmill chips and dust, while nearly17 million cubic metres were consumed in energy generation. In energy generation, heating and power plants consumed three million cubic metres of various types of forest residues, namely logging residues and stumps. The consumption of forest industry by-products and wood residues, mainly industrial chips, sawdust and bark, amounted to 13 million cubic metres. In small-scale housing, almost half a million cubic metres of fuelwood from wood residues from sawmills and construction, as well as wood pellets, were burned.

“It is worth noting that, according to Luke’s Forest Accounts statistics, almost 60 per cent of all wood material used in Finland is used for energy generation, and the remaining 40 per cent is bound in forest industry products”, Ylitalo says.

According to Ylitalo, it is important that, when estimating the total consumption of wood, the aforementioned volumes of roundwood and by-products are not summed up.

“The consumption of by-products means that roundwood is used for the second time, after its primary use. These volumes are already included in the consumption of roundwood.”

Information about the statistics

The statistics cover annual information about total wood consumption in Finland. The information is collected from Luke’s statistics of Forest industries’ wood consumption, Wood in energy generation and Fuelwood consumption in small-scale housing.